Agency Of Income
  • World News
  • Stocks
  • Business
  • Politics

Agency Of Income

  • World News
  • Stocks
  • Business
  • Politics
Business

Ontario cancels internet deal with Musk’s Starlink as part of U.S. tariff fight

by admin July 31, 2025
July 31, 2025
Ontario cancels internet deal with Musk’s Starlink as part of U.S. tariff fight

The Canadian province of Ontario has canceled a C$100 million ($68.12 million) satellite high-speed internet contract with Elon Musk’s company Starlink, following through with a vow by the province’s premier to cut ties in retaliation for U.S. tariffs imposed on Canada.

Stephen Lecce, Ontario’s minister of energy and mines, confirmed the cancellation of the contract for internet services at an unrelated news conference in Toronto on Wednesday. Lecce, who oversees broadband connectivity in Canada’s most populous province, didn’t say how much the termination would cost.

“I can confirm that the premier has fulfilled his word, which is to cancel that contract because of the very reasons he cited in the past,” Lecce said. “We are standing up for Canada.”

Under the terms of the deal, which Ontario signed last November, Starlink was to provide high-speed internet access to 15,000 eligible homes and businesses in more remote communities.

In February, Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to end the agreement with Starlink in response to U.S. President Donald Trump imposing tariffs on Canadian goods. He later postponed the cancellation after Trump agreed to a 30-day pause on tariffs.

SpaceX, Starlink’s parent, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Musk headed Trump’s drive to shrink the federal government and was a close ally before falling out with the president.

Canada and the U.S. are working on negotiating a trade deal by August 1, the date Trump is threatening to impose a 35% tariff on all Canadian goods not covered by the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement.

Earlier this week, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said talks were at an intense phase while reiterating that a deal that would remove all U.S. tariffs was unlikely.

Lecce said Ontario has taken other measures against the U.S., including restricting the ability of U.S. companies to bid on provincial government contracts, removing U.S.-made alcoholic beverages from store shelves and working to decouple the province’s energy sector from the U.S.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

previous post
Top GOP senator demands probe into whether Jack Smith ‘unlawfully’ tried to influence 2024 election
next post
GOP senators rally around effort to end ‘radical wokeness’ in HHS task force

Related Posts

White House accuses Powell of mismanaging Federal Reserve,...

July 10, 2025

Tesla stock sinks as Musk and Trump ridicule...

June 8, 2025

Trump demands resignation of Intel CEO over alleged...

August 7, 2025

UnitedHealth says it faces DOJ investigation over Medicare...

July 24, 2025

Playboy moving its headquarters to Miami Beach and...

August 17, 2025

Apple just landed a key win for the...

August 20, 2025

Elon Musk confirms Tesla has signed a $16.5...

July 28, 2025

Boeing delivers most airplanes since late 2023 after...

July 9, 2025

Kraft Heinz to remove artificial dyes from U.S....

June 17, 2025

Streaming overtakes cable and broadcast as the most-watched...

June 18, 2025

    Get free access to all of the retirement secrets and income strategies from our experts!

    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Latest News

    • What did Obama know about the Trump–Russia probe? And when did he know it?

    • US agencies distance themselves from Chinese-founded PDF software

    • Trump pick for UN aviation office has long history donating to Dems, Nikki Haley

    • CDC official includes ‘pregnant people’ terminology and pronouns in resignation letter

    • Bipartisan fury at CDC: Senators demand probe, reject vaccine guidance as illegitimate

    • Google has eliminated 35% of managers overseeing small teams in past year, exec says

    Categories

    • Business (136)
    • Politics (20)
    • Stocks (112)
    • World News (422)
    • About us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: AgencyOfIncome.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 agencyofincome.com | All Rights Reserved